Join the conference call!
It is common knowledge that being separated from a parent or caregiver can be extremely overwhelming for some children. Unlike when a separation is due to death, there are other types of separations when a parent is alive but not available – like when children are removed due to abuse and neglect, change foster home placements, or experience a termination of parental rights. In these circumstances, children may develop post traumatic responses such as the following:
- intrusive thoughts, images, or memories of what happened coming into their mind when they don’t want them to
- disturbing images of the separation reenacted in play or depicted in art
- avoiding reminders of what happened, such as people, places, situations, or things associated with the traumatic separation
- negative beliefs about oneself, others, or what happened
- negative changes in mood (e.g., sadness, anger, anxiety, fear, guilt, shame)
- changes in behavior (e.g., increased anger, aggressiveness, oppositional behaviors, irritability, clinginess, sleep problems, withdrawal)
- self-destructive thoughts, plans, or actions
- problems thinking, paying attention, or concentrating
- physical symptoms (e.g., stomach aches, headaches)
If you are caring for a child who exhibits any of the above, and wonder if their separations/changes in placements may be making it harder for them to adjust, please consider joining this discussion! We will focus not only on explaining what traumatic separation is but also, things to consider to reduce the likelihood that your child will experience future moves as a traumatic.
Monday, May 23, 2016
12:00pm Eastern / 9:00am Pacific
Facilitate Discussion – Traumatic Separation
Discussants: Judy Cohen, Amnoni Myers, Liza Simon Roper will be discussing the impact of traumatic separation and children and families.
Hope you’ll Join the call!
Topic: Traumatic Separation
Date: May 23, 2016
Time: 9:00 am Pacific, 10:00 Mtn, 11:00 Central, Noon Eastern
Phone #: 1-855-244-8681 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)
Phone Code: 732 824 456
Webex Link: https://dukemed.webex.com/dukemed/j.php?MTID=m79b591c661189500d079a41d04b812a3
Webex password: foster