In order to slow the spread of COVID-19, schools across the country have shut their doors. And since social distancing orders means limiting your time in public, parents across the country are quickly running out of ways to keep their kids entertained and occupied at home. Fortunately, there are many things you can do to keep your kids busy and support their education until the schools reopen. Here are some great ideas to try at home!
Bring the Classroom Home
It’s important to continue your children’s education while they’re home from school. Take advantage of online resources and educational tools to bring the classroom into your very own living room.
- Set up a dedicated space for your at-home classroom where your children can study and complete their homework free from household distractions.
- When you’re ready to start teaching, look for educational resources and online lesson plans to keep your kids entertained and engaged during learning sessions.
- Remember to schedule breaks into your lesson plans. Regular, short breaks will improve your children’s attention and memory.
- Take advantage of your time stuck at home to teach your kids valuable life skills, like how to cook nutritious meals. This is a great way to give your kids a break from their academic homework.
Give in to Screen-Based Entertainment
While you may want to limit the amount of time your kids spend in front of their screens, a little screen time here and there can be a life saver for busy parents. Download a fun app or pop in a movie and enjoy some time to yourself!
- Need to distract the kids for a couple of hours so you can get some work done? Put on a great movie and watch your kids laugh and sing along.
- Download some kid-friendly apps to keep those young minds stimulated. From simple puzzles to complex strategy games, app games can be surprisingly educational.
- Schedule virtual playdates so your kids can stay connected to their friends from a safe distance.
- Make sure you set up parental controls on all your devices to keep your kids safe while they’re learning or playing around online.
Stay Active as a Family
Regular physical activity is incredibly important for parents and kids alike. Keep your family moving by playing active games and exploring fun forms of exercise together.
- If your kids are bouncing off the walls, break out some creative indoor games like hallway bowling, scavenger hunts, or tickle tag.
- Ready to sweat? Grab your kids and guide them through a yoga routine or gentle bodyweight circuit.
- Some outdoor time is also beneficial. If you don’t have a backyard, you can still take your family on a walk outside as long as you stay six feet away from others and practice good hygiene.
The lockdown is forcing all of us to adapt to sudden changes in our regular routines. Of course, this is bound to cause some level of stress to busy parents. Try to look on the bright side! You’re probably spending a lot more time with your kids than you’re used to, so take advantage of this precious time to make new memories and strengthen your bond with your little ones!
While you can use the above resources to keep your kids engaged during COVID-19, take the time to explore other online resources that pertain to the unique dynamics of your family.